Do you have old or unwanted cups and tea cups sitting right in the cupboard? We do too, and we are not sure what to do with them sometimes. They just sit there piling up, replaced by a brand new cup or mug year after year. They look too old and tired to giveaway, yet are still in good condition to simply toss them away. Why not use them to create your own tea or coffee cup candles? They can be transformed into a really unique gift experience for someone and furthermore, you can customize it to smell exactly how it looks with just a little imagination.
Here, we will be creating a Kopi-O candle cup. What is Kopi-O? Kopi-O is a traditional coffee beverage originated from Singapore and Malaysia. “Kopi” means coffee and “O” means black. There is a list of Kopi terminology to learn about Singapore’s coffee culture, but to make it simpler, Kopi-O is the Singapore version of Americano/long black coffee.
Prepare a double boiler, pour in the soy wax and allow it to melt completely. Add in candle dye of your choice, here we are using black as we are creating a black coffee candle. Mix thoroughly then add in the coffee fragrance oil. Prepare your tea cups with a wick then pour the mixture in slowly, allow the candle to dry completely for 24 hours and your candle creation is ready.
What You Will Need:
- 300g Soy Wax
- 1/2 teaspoon black candle dye
- 30g coffee fragrance oil
- Double boiler
- Ice cream sticks for stirring
- Tea cups
- Take note that different cups have different volume, and the amount of soy wax will vary for every cup.
- Sinkholes may occur around the wick, and if it happens, you can either add a little bit more of your wax mixture in to smoothen it, or use a heat gun/hair dryer to smooth the tops.
- Experiment with different colors and scents for different beverages for a more unique experience!